Friday, November 11, 2011

TAKE OFF, NOVEMBER 10

[Note: I'm told by my daughter Wendy that if you care to get email notifications of new posts you can do so by putting your email address into the blank place at the top of the blog.]

Aloft on the first leg of our flight to Ghana, a short hour and a half to DC. Time to reflect on the travel experience a bit.

The way I'm personally most directly affected by terrorism is the airport experience. You now have to arrive early, endure the lines and indignities involved in passing through security and getting to the gate; identity checked, everything out of your pockets, shoes off, belt off, coat off, toiletries out of the bag, electronics separate, arms behind your head in the plastic booth, endure the overly important TSA agent (actually, they've gotten nicer), etc. By the time you reach your gate, typically located half way to your destination, you feel assaulted and exhausted. Then the flight's delayed, and you don't even get some damn peanuts because they cost too much and somebody is allergic to them.

There, now that's out of the way. Yes, I'm feeling much better, thanks for asking.

Technology everywhere. Our friend, Dick Kiphart, has boarded before us, calls on my cell to check that we've made it. He stops by to ask whether I got the article he's emailed me a few minutes ago. I have, and since I've downloaded it, I can read it on the flight. But first I read more of The Filter Bubble, a VERY scary book I've downloaded on my iPad about the affects the Internet are having on us as individuals and a society that we're completely unaware of. Highly recommended. And, of course, writing this blog post (which I now need to continue on our next flight, since "our captain" has told us that we need to "put away all electronic devices in preparation for landing").

No comments:

Post a Comment